Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Book Review: Willie Out West - children's book


Willie out West by Rhonda Walker is a children’s story about Willie the walrus who is bored at home.  When he flips on the TV he hears about the how the Wild West is being overrun by a mean whale.  The next thing he knows there is a knock on the door from the sheriff of the Wild West asking for his help.  He travels to the Wild West looking for adventure and to help the town’s people.

This book was written well and in a language that makes it easy for kids to understand.  I’d say a 1st or 2nd grader could easily read this book out loud.  The pictures were nice but very simple.  I think part of that is the ebook format made they look at little too simple.

I have to be honest, I didn’t like the story.  The resolution of helping the town’s people is getting them to scare the whale (bad guy) away with a harpoon.  Not the best lesson.  Pull out a weapon to scare the bad guy.  I don’t think I would choose this book off a shelf and read it to my kids.

 Note: I did receive a copy of this book for free to read and review from the publisher.  The opinions above are my own and I was not compensated for a positive review.

2 comments:

  1. I agree completely..just wrote a review myself and had much the same to say about the ending!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree completely..just wrote a review myself and had much the same to say about the ending!

    ReplyDelete