Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Book Review: Nature Girl


Nature Girl; A guide to caring for God’s creation by Karen Whiting ad Rebecca White is a collection of recipes, tips, how-tos, and scripture to help a young girl become better about how to creatively and practically makes changes on her/our lives to help the earth. This book covers electricity saving tips to make your own spa day supplies.

I got this book hoping my 8 year old daughter would like it.  She is very sensitive and aware of the nature. She always wants to save the animals and pick up litter.  I thought this book would in line with that.   I found some of the suggestions very obvious – turn off the lights when you leave a room- and some more enlightening.  I like that they covered alternative energy (even if my daughter isn’t going be the one paying for a solar or wind power system). I also like that they outlined some of the jobs your can have in fields that help with alternative energy and conservation. 

I did have a few things about the book that bothered me.  One, and this may be my “thing” but, one some of the recipes it calls for ingredients such as Crisco.  Crisco??!!  You specifically list un-petroleum jelly but Crisco is okay?  Why not coconut oil with some bees wax?  My other main issue in this book is there has to be a fine line that I don’t feel was thoroughly discussed.  For instance one of the tips is to leave bits of trash and string out for birds to make colorful nests with but there is a fine line between leaving a piece of string out and littering.  Plus, colorful string and other things are not natural materials to birds’ nests and the environment.  I feel like they do more harm than help in most cases.

All and all I am giving this book to my daughter (Merry Christmas).  I hope she enjoys it and I look forward discussing a lot of these topics in detail with her.  Pros and cons. 

 

Note: I was given a copy of this book to read and review from the publisher.  The opinions above are my own and I was not compensated for a positive review.

No comments:

Post a Comment