Thursday, May 7, 2015

Book review: Companion Guide to the Old Testament

Companion to the Old Testament by Ted Leach is exactly as it sounds.  It is the companion guides to help a reader better understand the history, culture, languages of the Old Testament with other religions.  The publisher describes it as “This book helps Christians understand how the Old Testament is “community property” shared by Jews, Christians and Muslims. It is a constructive resource for interfaith discussion, particularly for people of different faiths (or no faith) who are seeking to identify some shared principles of our common humanity.”
I think this book would be great for a religions scholar to have on their shelf but I found most of it too difficult to understand.  Not necessarily the concepts but the way it was written.  I felt like I was in a lecture hall with a professor that knew he was smarter than all of us teaching his pupils how ignorant they were on the subject.  It I don’t think that’s how the author meant it but that’s how I felt.  I felt wrong for having different opinions on subjects he discussed.
All in all I do not think I will be recommending this book to any of my friends and family.

Note: I was given a copy of this book to read and review.  The opinions above are my own and I was not compensated for a positive review.

No comments:

Post a Comment